Week 0 Overview
In addition to the textbook, the staff will publish a set of lecture notes that serve as supplements to the edX lectures. Make sure you revisit the notes after lecture. Each note may be covered in one or more lectures. See Syllabus for more information.
- Note 0: SQL I
- Note 1: SQL II
- Note 2: Disk + Files
- Note 3: B+ Trees
- Note 4: Buffer Management
- Note 5: Relational Algebra
- Note 6: Sorting
- Note 7: Hashing
- Note 8: Iterators & Joins
In-person discussion sections are an optional and highly recommended component of this course, and you may attend whichever section(s) you like. In discussion, you'll learn more in depth about the previous week's content and you'll have the opportunity to ask your TA relevant conceptual questions. Here is a list of all the discussion sections for the course.
- Discussion 1: SQL (Solution) (Slides)
- Discussion 2: Disks/Files/Buffers (Solution) (Slides)
- Discussion 3: Indices, B+ Trees (Solution) (Slides)
- Discussion 4: Buffer Management (Solution) (Slides)
- Discussion 5: Sorting, Hashing
Throughout the semester, we will release 5 programming assignments via Piazza, each worth 7% of your grade. They are designed to cover distinct parts of the course and are done in SQL (Project 1) and Java (Project 2 - 5). See Syllabus for more information.
Slides generally follow the notes. Lecture videos are provided via edX. See Syllabus for more information.
- Slide 1: SQL I
- Slide 2: SQL II
- Slide 3: Disks, Files, Buffers I
- Slide 4: Disks, Files, Buffers II
- Slide 5: Disks, Files, Buffers III
- Slide 6: B+ Trees
- Slide 7: Indexes, B+ Tree Refinements
- Slide 8: Buffer Management
- Slide 9: Relational Algebra
- Slide 10: Sorting & Hashing
- Slide 11: Iterators & Joins